Thursday, July 28, 2011

Adventures in EC

Elimination Communication, aka Infant Potty Training, aka Natural Infant Hygiene is basically what it sounds like, communicating with baby about when they need to pee or poop and helping them to go. This idea really appeals to me, and I find it interesting that in the past EC was a common practice although it wasn't called that, but now many people find the idea strange as if it would be a disservice to the child.

Here are a few EC resources:
Diaper Free Baby
Free to EC
Tribal Baby

Many of the parents writing about EC made it sound so easy, having success from day one.  I have not been so lucky. I first heard of EC shortly after our baby was born and decided to start trying around 12 weeks.  I've had a few catches here and there, not every day.  Many of my catches are onto a prefold on the changing pad.  A few days ago I was encouraged by catching a poop this way.  It was way less messy than usual.  I can usually get at least a good cue in during the day and baby will often pee while laying on the prefold.  I think she understands that that is a good place to go and is confused when I cue her other places like the bathroom or on the brand new little potty.

No comments:

Post a Comment